Applications are invited for appointment as General Manager (Administration and Support) to be seconded to The University of Hong Kong (Shenzhen) Teaching Hospital Limited (THL) and assigned to work in the HKU-Shenzhen Hospital (Ref.: 502354), to commence in July 2021, on a three-year fixed-term basis, with the possibility of renewal. As the Hospital is located in Shenzhen, travelling to Mainland China is required.
The University of Hong Kong (HKU) has been collaborating with Shenzhen Government to develop the HKU-Shenzhen Hospital as a teaching hospital of HKU. With the presence of HKU, a new operation model for the Hospital has been introduced, aiming at providing high-quality services from primary to tertiary levels to patients in the region, whilst sustaining a teaching and training mission well supported by a robust research component. The Hospital has commenced operation since October 2012.
Applicants should possess a good university degree or fellowship of a relevant professional body, extensive operational and management experience in different areas of administration functions in large healthcare organizations or hospitality industry, and at least 7 years’ experience working at senior management level. Previous working experience in mainland China will be an advantage. They should also have:
1) solid administration experience and management knowledge in planning, implementing and overseeing all aspects of general hospital administration functions and domestic support services (such as housekeeping, food, security, transport, laundry and linen supply services), facility management, procurement and contract management, legal services, information technology support and media/public relations;
2) substantial expertise in developing policies and guidelines on corporate governance, accountability structures and respective administrative functions;
3) extensive public administration or healthcare knowledge to facilitate development of network with stakeholders from different settings/cultures to support hospital operations;
4) a strong analytical mind and organizational skills to harness support of different stakeholders and align interests of various disciplines to ensure efficient and effective hospital administration and operations;
5) the ability to optimize the cost-effectiveness of service delivery and manage the budget and resource of administrative and business supporting services in the hospital; and
6) excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to establish network and build trust with stakeholders from different settings/cultures. Fluency in Putonghua and English is required, as well as the ability to read Chinese.
The appointee will report to the Hospital Chief Executive as part of the senior management team in contributing to the successful operation of the Hospital’s service delivery within attainable resources. He/She is expected to:
a) direct and manage the day-to-day operations of the Department of Administration and Support to provide full range of administrative and business support services, and ensure quality assurance of administrative operations and controls within the department;
b) provide business support services in various areas, such as buildings and facilities management (security, cleansing, car park, fire safety, radiation safety); procurement and contract management; logistics, supply chain and materials management; furniture and equipment; hospital engineering and biomedical engineering services (oxygen tanks, medical gases, medical equipment maintenance); plants, fuel, electricity, water supply; laundry and linen services; food and catering services; environmental hygiene, waste disposal; and ambulance and transport service, etc.;
c) take an active role in the annual service planning and commissioning processes and provision of administrative advice and decision support for performance management to improve the administrative effectiveness and efficiency of the Hospital;
d) develop policies and guidelines on administrative policy and systems development, administrative and management regulations; ensure compliance of administrative policies and regulations, and maintain an effective system of internal controls in mitigating administrative risks; and
e) provide leadership in administrative and support functions and ensure the effective functioning of all aspects of administrative and support services to support the operational management of the Hospital.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits. The appointment will attract a contract-end gratuity and University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme, totalling up to 15% of basic salary.
The University only accepts online application for the above post. Applicants should apply online and upload an up-to-date C.V. Review of applications will start on November 16, 2020 and continue until December 31, 2020, or until the post is filled, whichever is earlier.