IT Officer in the Department of Geography (Ref.: 508972) (to commence as soon as possible, on a two-year fixed-term basis with contract-end gratuity and University contribution to a retirement benefits scheme, totalling up to 10% of basic salary, with the possibility of renewal subject to satisfactory performance and funding availability)
Applicants should have a Bachelor’s degree or above in Information Technology, or a related discipline, with at least 3 years’ in-depth and hands-on experience in server maintenance and network administration. Those with good knowledge in remote sensing and/or geographic information systems (GIS) are desirable. They should have a good command of written and spoken English and Chinese; excellent analytical, problem-solving and communication skills; and a high level of user service abilities. They should also have good knowledge of and relevant experiences in some of the following areas:
- Linux/Unix/Windows OS, TCP/IP networking and application server/infrastructure;
- LAN/WAN technologies, IP network routing and firewalls;
- infrastructure design, implementation and operation of on-premises and cloud systems;
- maintaining network, systems and application infrastructure and security;
- automating daily system management tasks through scripting; and
- conventional/IP/Cloud Telephony technology.
The appointee will play a versatile role to lead the IT team of the Department in planning, executing and managing various IT solutions for teaching and research, including but not limited to web-based systems development, management of computing facilities covering servers and AV equipment, reviews of vendor performance and office automation, implementing e-documentation and digital solutions; and performing any other IT-related duties as assigned. He/She will be expected to:
- manage systems services to address users’ requirements in teaching and research, including information systems security and software updates;
- assist in the Digital Earth and Resources (DEaR) Library initiatives of the Department;
- support system platforms of business applications through close liaison with application teams/owners;
- take ownership of services to ensure smooth transition in service delivery and operations; and
- create and maintain operation procedures and assist in the delivery of training on systems and related services.
A highly competitive salary commensurate with qualifications and experience will be offered, in addition to annual leave and medical benefits.
The University only accepts online application for the above post. Applicants should apply online and upload an up-to-date CV. Review of applications will commence as soon as possible and continue until November 30, 2021, or until the post is filled, whichever is earlier.